Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Tonkenna is on a distinguished road
    Level

S4 Firmware Upgrade Problem

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade the firmware on my new S4 using Kias but getting no where. It is supposedly downloading, but has been stuck at 1% for 25 mins before going on to 2%, and seems to be taking about 20 mins per% now. I have tried before, and left the phone attached to my laptop but it has never completed the upgrade. I cannot sit here and wait for the several hours it seems to be taking... Is there a problem or a better way or should I just not bother.

I am a recent convert from the iPhone as that has become a little boring, and love the S4, but I have to say the interface with my laptop is awful... Actually thinking of buying an iPod and binning music off the phone altogether as it is just so user unfriendly and unintuitive... Never really liked iTunes, but I do miss that, and upgrades were soooo easy. Kids seems so hit or miss as to whether it even works...

Any help gratefully received...

Tonks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Don't use Kies, you don't need it. You can update firmware direct to the S4 without using Kies and you can drag & drop media to it also without using Kies. I update my media via wifi using ES File Explorer.

Welcome to the forum.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    What next: Note 4?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Tonkenna is on a distinguished road
    Level
    Thanks for the reply stonkr. I had a play around today and thnk I have found the software update feature though what it is actually downloading is anyones guess as it doesn't say, just calls it an update package. It does appear to be quicker that Kies.

I am unsure as to moving music etc via any other way than Kias. Nothing seems obvious at all. I used Easy Phone Sync to get my iTunes playlists on to the phone but that was a massive faff as it took ages to even see the phone and I had to uninstall Kias and do several reboots of my laptop to get it to see the phone.I really did hope that there would be away to use my existing music, films, photos, etc. I am downloading ES File Explorer as i type this... I'll see how that goes.

Cheers for the help,

Tonks

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    I was the other way round. Had all my albums organised in folders, then got an iPod and wasn't happy at being forced to use iTunes to sync them across.

You can connect your phone using the cable, it will be shown in Windows as two drives (internal memory and external sd card), you can then drag and drop your music anywhere you like and the media scanner will find them. Not sure about playlists though as I never use them.

ES File Explorer serves my purpose as I have network drives available via wifi to various devices in my house, I can then copy media to my phone from my network as and when necessary.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    Triple Eye Pebble with extra added E=MC²:CF-Root:JKay Deluxe
    What next: Note 4?

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic is just really nice Swipermusic's Avatar
    Level
    I am with Stonkr on this one, always drag and drop, no faffing with Kies or Itunes.
    SGSIII
    Unlocked
    O2 Rooted

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Middleman software is massive pain in the rear, the main reason I never got an iPhone or Windows phone.

If your music is stored on servers online (like The Cloud) then you will not be able to drag and drop music. Just as a note I never use Samsung Kies to move media around in my phone.

I created the above thread some time ago, may help you with connecting your phone to the PC and dealing with media - Media Thread
    S3 (i9300) - AOKP 4.3
    Note 3 (N9005) - 4.3
    Nexus 7 (2012) - 4.4.2
    G+ Tuffinhio Mamoru

8. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information