[SGS II] Need advice for upgrading firmware - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice for upgrading firmware

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    islander5260 is on a distinguished road
    Level

Need advice for upgrading firmware

I need some advice or step-by-step on what's needed to upgrade the firmware on my phone without losing data. I'd prefer not to install 3rd party software to accomplish this, but I do have Kies Air, which may or may not work for me. (See my other thread regarding that).

My phone stats are as follows:

Model: GT-I9100M
    Android Version: 2.3.3
    Baseband Version: I9100MUGKG2
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-I9100MUGKG2-CL371789
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UGKG2

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    As per the other thread, use Kies desktop prog and your data cable. Kies will back up, upgrade and reinstall your files for you (hopefully)
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    Install kies(not kies air) once installed start kies, connect phone to PC using USB cable, kies will install the phones drivers and then should detect the phone and connect to it. Kies will show the current firmware and tell you if there are any updates available.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Achievements:
    7 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Awesome, thanks guys! I've gotten Kies installed, and successfully backed up my data.

First thing I noticed when launching Kies is the Basic Information tab, where it says "Current firmware version:", nothing is listed.
    When I go to Tools > Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation, a popup says "GT-I9100M does not support initialising". The only option is to click OK, the message closes, and that's it.

What now?

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj has much to be proud of Richardj's Avatar
    Level
    It could be the phone has carrier branded firmware and your carrier hasn't released an update. You may have to update it manually using odin.
    Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100. Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Rooted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, 16GB, Wi-Fi, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. MoreFine S6 Pro, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, rooted with framaroot.

Achievements:
    Level
    Must have been a glitch, because I disconnected the cable, closed Kies, then re-connected/launched Kies, and everything worked.

Phone is now upgraded to 4.1.2 - and it's very nice!

My next and hopefully last question is: When I restore the data I backed up, how will that affect things like my weather widget? Will I have the old one back again (undesirable) or will the phone keep the new one (please & thank you)? Same concern for any other widgets or apps I'll be restoring.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    You'll get the stock weather widget. You phone will reinstall any other apps you had but it's up to you to decide if you want to run them or not.
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

9. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information