Calendar sync deletes all events - any way of recovering? - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calendar sync deletes all events - any way of recovering?

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    stevenchilton is on a distinguished road
    Level

Unhappy Calendar sync deletes all events - any way of recovering?

Hi there,

I have just clicked calendar sync - hoping to sync all my calendar events with google calendar.

However it has deleted all my events both past and future.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows any way of recovering or why this happened?

Thanks in advance
    Steven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class250 Experience Points
    Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad has a reputation beyond repute Tufftoad's Avatar
    Level
    Currently there is no way to restore Calendar information unless the Calendar was backed by yourself using Samsung Kies or something similar.

Unfortunately Google do not offer a way to recover calendar events as they do Contacts:

Restore contacts
    If you make changes to your contacts that you want to undo, you can restore your full contacts list to an earlier saved version. This allows you to undo changes like:

Recovering contacts that have been accidentally deleted
    Restoring contacts after an unsuccessful sync
    Undoing a recent import
    Undoing a recent merge
    To restore your contacts to a previous version, just follow these steps:

Click Gmail at the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then choose Contacts..
    From the More actions drop-down menu, choose Restore contacts.
    Choose the time you'd like to revert your contacts list to (e.g. 10 minutes ago, one hour ago, one week ago, etc). We suggest that you also make a note of the time that you restore your contacts, in case you'd like to return to where you started.
    Click Restore. You'll see a confirmation at the top of the screen when the rollback is complete.
    To undo a restoration:

When the operation completes, a notification bar will appear that gives you the opportunity to immediately undo the restore. This notification bar will disappear if you leave Contacts or make edits to your contacts.
    If the notification bar is no longer there, you can always re-run the Restore Contacts tool to take you back to where you started. Just set the tool to take you to the time just before you started the whole process.
    The 24 hour rule for Chat contacts:

When you delete a contact in Contacts, it will also get deleted from your Chat list. After the contact is deleted, Chat still remembers the invitation status for that contact for another 24 hours. So if you restore a deleted contact within 24 hours, it will be fully restored in Chat. But if you restore a deleted contact after 24 hours, you'll need to re-invite that person to your Chat list.
    S3 (i9300) - AOKP 4.3
    Note 3 (N9005) - 4.3
    Nexus 7 (2012) - 4.4.2
    G+ Tuffinhio Mamoru

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you know why this could've happened? It doesn't make any sense to me that I lose everything simply by doing a sync.

Stupid Modulator
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Please can you list, exactly, where you put your events, what apps you used, what you pressed to sync, what calendars you have setup etc.

There isn't one calendar. There is the Samsung local calendar which should just be ignored and hidden. There are apps that have their own calendars. Then there there is the calendar for your Google account, or more correctly the calendars, as you can have more than one. These get synced to your Google account and can be seen on other devices as well as shared with other people. For example I have a work shift calendar that other members of my family can view only, not edit, so they can see when I'm unavailable.
    I could be wrong, I usually am. (Because it's only a phone)
    OnePlus One : Galaxy Tab2 10.1

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH has a reputation beyond repute RichH's Avatar
    Level
    Check that you have Google calendar selected. The phone will default to Samsung calendar.
    Samsung ATIVs SIM Free. Orange UK. WP8
    SGS 3 i9305 SIM Free. Dev Tool. Galaxy Project ROM. 4.3. Three UK
    HTC ONE Gold O2 UK 4G
    "Help4Mobiles"

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    I didn't install a calendar so would assume I am using the standard samsung one. All the events were stored in the calendar by clicking on a date then 'Create event'.

I decided it would be useful to sync with my google calendar so that I could see my events online.

I went to Calendar - settings - Calendar sync - Manage accounts - [google account] - sync calendar

I accept I probably should've used the proper google calendar but it still seems a bit ridiculous to lose a years worth of events data trying to sync.

Stupid Modulator
    Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr has much to be proud of stonkr's Avatar
    Level
    Then I may suggest that your events are still there somewhere as your Google calendar is not your Samsung calendar and unless you have cleared the data in the Samsung calendar or run a factory reset it should all still be there somewhere. The question is where.

Which app did you use to enter your events originally?
    Have you created any Google calendars or are you using the default one?
    What version of Android are you using?

EDIT: This is one of those 'It'd be easier to meet for a coffee and I'll have a look' problems...

EDIT II: Without knowing your calendar app or firmware version (is it Calendar or S Planner or something else) can I suggest you open your calendar app and look for something under settings or calendars and make sure anything that looks like 'My Calendar' is ticked, which is the Samsung local calendar. You should also have a calendar titled with your Google account, eg myname@gmail.com, which is what syncs with your google account.
    Last edited by stonkr; 12-30-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: More info

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Level
    The App I used was the default calendar that comes with the Samsung S2. It just seems to be called "Calendar" Version 1.1

I haven't created any calendars and am not using the google one.

I'm using Android version 2.3.5

I understand you may not be able to help me without actually seeing the phone but thanks for trying.

Stupid Modulator
    Achievements:
    Level
    OK. Have a look in your calendar app and check that all calendars are selected for viewing.

If you get nowhere with the stock calendar app (which is quite basic), install the free version of touch calendar and check all calendars are displayed on that.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Samsung Galaxy S Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information