Message Icon Showing 1 New Message ALL THE TIME [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: Message Icon Showing 1 New Message ALL THE TIME

hjtangel
06-08-2012, 12:30 PM
For some reason my message icon is showing that there is always a new message.

Obviously, i have checked and i dont have any unread messages.

I have tried deleting all messages and this doesnt help.

I have tried deleting all message application data - this doenst help either.

When i turn the phone off and on again it goes, but then returns as soon as i receive a new message!

Only had the phone 24 hours so any help would be appreciated before i return!!

Thanks

Holly

Swipermusic
06-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Are you sure its not a voicemail. I had that and mine was.
It looked just like a text.

Tufftoad
06-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Which mail application are you using Gmail or E-mail or both? Could it be that you have an unread e-mail under one of your labels in Gmail.

Have you pulled down the notification bar and clicked on the notification to see where it takes you?

Edit: you could take a screen shot to show us what the notification is?

hjtangel
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Ohh good thinking, i've checked my voicemail, and i didnt have a message on there but its not changed it at all :(

hjtangel
06-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Which mail application are you using Gmail or E-mail or both? Could it be that you have an unread e-mail under one of your labels in Gmail.

Have you pulled down the notification bar and clicked on the notification to see where it takes you?

Edit: you could take a screen shot to show us what the notification is?

Hiya

Its not an email, sorry i should have said that, its just a txt message. Will try and get a screen shot up later when im home.

There is no notification in the notification bar. Its just a little red circle with a "1" in on the messages button.

Sorry if that makes no sense at all!

hazi1964
06-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Are you using go sms? That will show that notification when there is an update within the app. If it's stock sms app then no idea.

Alison

Tufftoad
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't worry it does make sense. If Hazi's suggestions doesn't work it's possible it could also be an sms that has been saved/locked to the sim?

Swipermusic
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
What about a network settings sms?

NZtechfreak
06-09-2012, 01:35 AM
I had this, just had to swipe it out of the notifications drawer manually and it was gone...

nickyp2012
06-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Im having the same problem with mine even when i empty my inbox it still has the red circle with 1 inside indicating 1 message. The only way i can get rid of it is to clear ram or restart the phone, cant seem to find out anywhere what it is or how to stop it so any help would be really appreciated.

greenman
06-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Have seen something like this before and it was to indicate that there was a message in the notification bar, but not enough room to display it.
The solution was to turn phone into landscape to view.

Gooberman
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Im having the exact same problem and its driving me nuts. Ive deleted all my text messages but still have the number one appearing. If i turn the phone off and on again it goes but as soon as i receive another text and i read it, it comes back again. This is the 3rd one of these phones ive had, ive had to return 2 because the screens on them kept going black and now this. Im seriously getting pissed off with this phone, never had these issues with my iphone.

Gooberman
06-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Have seen something like this before and it was to indicate that there was a message in the notification bar, but not enough room to display it.
The solution was to turn phone into landscape to view.

We have read/deleted all our messages though so the message icon shouldnt indicate that there is an unread message.

Goots
06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that when you use a 3rd party messaging app, you have to tell the system to only use that app for messaging. It's supposed to do it automatically when you install the app, but it doesn't always work.

I've never used GoSMS, but is there a setting in there saying "disable default sms application" or "override stock messaging app" or something like that?

I think you GoSMS is getting the incoming message, but so is your stock messaging app, so even though you have read and acknowledged the message, you've only done it for one of the apps.

That's what it sounds like to me anyway, unless I've totally got the wrong end of the stick :rolleyes:

EDIT : Or try disabling notifications in your stock mms app - that should have the same effect.

RichH
06-23-2012, 08:53 PM
I've read about this issue on a few forums, not sure if it is related to a 3rd party app or not but someone said if they go into task manager and clear memory it goes, so maybe its a bug in the firmware....?

Jejoma
07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Ok, I've got the exact opposite - my wife's SII doesn't show anything on the Messaging icon regardless of how many unread messages she has received. Is there a setting somewhere I've missed?

alienvfr
08-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I had this problem if you go to logs and check last missed call they disappear

juzjokn
08-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Hi Holly...If you're still having this issue I may have the solution. I had the same issue but eventually got to 3 messages showing all the time. Here's how I solved it. Go into messages and then push the button on the lower left to bring up the menu. It should list the following....Compose, Delete threads, Search, Text Templates, Settings and Browser Message. Push the Browser Message button...all the messages there are what causes the Icon to show messages not read.

Hope this helps,

Darren

paulapops
10-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi, I had the same problem it was driving me mad, but I found it!! My message was coming from 'social hub'. Click the 'applications' button bottom right, and scroll through the screens until you find the Social Hub icon. Mine was showing 1. when I clicked it it had a message to say set up Social Hub. when I came out of it the 1 message went, but then it came back and it was social hub again, so I just ended up setting it up, and now I'm sorted. Hope this is your problem too.

Tenix
10-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I can't seem to open a new thread and this seems like a similar problem..
my phone app is showing a missed call although I have no missed calls. I erased all call logs, erased the call from the notification bar, restarted the phone, manually stopped the app...nothing seems to work :( any idea on how to remove this little red circle with the number 1 in it? :confused:

bonofer
10-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Hallo
My Samsung S3 has the same problem. My SMS box is showing 2 unread, while I have read all messages. I tried clearing the ram and cache but still unable to clear it. Can somebody help me please.
Bonofer

pbstrahl
10-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I found that my texts also go to an app called Social Hub. It appears to keep that "1" on your message icon. Have not discovered how to delete that unwanted app.

Jejoma
10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
I found that my texts also go to an app called Social Hub. It appears to keep that "1" on your message icon. Have not discovered how to delete that unwanted app.
Social Hub is Samsung bloatware. To remove you need root and something like Titanium Backup. I would advise using this app to freeze rather than delete - a similar effect but not so drastic.

daviep
11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
this works-goto settings,application manager,swipe accross to ALL,sroll down to badgeprovider and clear the data and the restart your phone.cleared the message icon on my wifes phone that has had 1 message showing for months after trying many solutions to clear it.