Sudden drop in battery level and shut down [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: Sudden drop in battery level and shut down

gogita
05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Dear forum,

I recently got a brand new Galaxy S II with a new contract and have been using with a lot of joy. However, recently a problem occurred with the battery in a sense that it sometimes suddenly goes from 30-ish % to 0 instantly, therefore causing my phone to shut down with no warning.
http://s14.postimage.org/qe9hf7whb/Galaxy_S_II_battery.jpg http://s14.postimage.org/fnv1l0xm7/Screenshot_2012_05_20_12_22_47.png
Also, after this happened, I cannot just plug in the phone to the charger, because for some reason it does not charge. I have to remove the battery and then put it back in again before I can charge it. This has been happening almost daily and I don't know what the cause is. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? The phone is not rooted or tampered with in any way.

Thank you to everyone that can help me!

greenman
05-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Recent problems suggest that it's related to a change you're made.
Have you updated your phone firmware via Kies?
Have you installed any battery savings apps?

Before shutting down, does the phone get hot?

gogita
05-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Recent problems suggest that it's related to a change you're made.
Have you updated your phone firmware via Kies?
Have you installed any battery savings apps?

Before shutting down, does the phone get hot?

Yes, I updated it to the newest Android version through Kies
No, I have no battery saving apps
Usually I do not know when it exactly shuts down, but when it shut down just now it was not hot.

RichH
05-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Did you do a factory reset after you updated via Kies?

gogita
05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Did you do a factory reset after you updated via Kies?

No, I only had to reboot the phone after the update, after which I could use it normally again.

Also, I only had the phone only 2 weeks before I updated it to the latest firmware. However, this problem did not occur in the first two weeks I had the phone

greenman
05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Sounds like a factory reset is required.
Recommended when changing from gingerbread to ICS.
In ICS there is the option to backup to Google servers so select that, also go to Kies to backup contacts.
Your sd card and photo's will be untouched by the reset.

gogita
05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a factory reset is required.
Recommended when changing from gingerbread to ICS.
In ICS there is the option to backup to Google servers so select that, also go to Kies to backup contacts.
Your sd card and photo's will be untouched by the reset.

Ok, I will try that. Is this problem uncommon after an update to ICS?

greenman
05-20-2012, 11:56 AM
No, quite the opposite.
After an ICS update there are many reports of excessive battery use.
The factory reset usually helps.

gogita
05-20-2012, 12:15 PM
No, quite the opposite.
After an ICS update there are many reports of excessive battery use.
The factory reset usually helps.

Yes, I have read about this problem, however I am concerned that this is different, as this is not just excessive battery use, but a sudden drop to 0%. I will still try the solution of a factory reset and I will keep this topic updated if it worked or not.

RichH
05-20-2012, 12:47 PM
It's most likely due to the battery meter not been calibrated properly. You should run battery flat then fully charge in one go with the phone off. Once fully charged, remove battery for 2-3 mins then reinsert and start phone. This should calibrate the meter so it knows where full/empty is....

gogita
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
After performing a factory reset, the phone acted normal until just now. It suddenly shut down again at 20%. I had to remove the battery and put it back in again before I could turn it on, after which it only had 2% battery life left. Therefore the factory reset did not fix the problem.

I will try out RichH's suggestion and keep you guys updated. If anyone else has a suggestion, please tell me!

bhoys1973
06-04-2012, 01:52 PM
i had this issue but followed what richH mentions above that was on another forum and i now average 24hrs plus battery life with regular internet use playing music etc etc. beforehand it would drop to 40% after 5 to 6hrs so as you can see its a massive difference but i think the biggest difference was turning background syncing off ! checking apps access to update and restricting it plus keeping the brightness to just below half way level. i also downloaded data switch widget to also help so i could change to and from 3G instantly thus saving battery life. i had an issue which greenman will tell you in that my credit was being swallowed up thanks in part to programs continuingly updating and also killing my battery so do check.

bhoys1973
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
ive tried to upload screenshot of my battery life but page hangs when posting it. its a png file and only 73kb