Samsung Galaxy Email [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: Samsung Galaxy Email

jeffkinn
05-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of migrating to the Galaxy from the iPhone. Email is very important to me and I have a few questions and would appreciate your advice:

1. Can you have multiple email accounts including multiple Exchange accounts?

2. If you can have multiple email accounts, is there a unified inbox or does each account have its own inbox?

3. Are email accounts updated using push or fetch (to use iPhone terminology)?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

greenman
05-06-2012, 02:15 PM
As the galaxy is a Google android device, the best way of carrying out your tasks is via Google mail.
This link may be of help:

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-GB/business/gmail.html#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-emea-uk-bk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=%2Bgooglemail%20%2Bbusiness

jeffkinn
05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks for that reply. I am a sophisticated computer and smartphone user and I need to phone to work the way I need to work. I have my own domain that links to a hosted exchange account. I also need to use at least one third party corporate exchange account as well as one or two pop3 accounts. Can an Android device work in that manner in the same way as an iPhone or a Blackberry?

greenman
05-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I guessed you were a sophisticated computer and smartphone user and that's why I suggested the business link.
Could you use some of your sophisticated and analytical skills to make an assessment of the functionality of Google Apps for Business.
A resume of where it falls short of your most discerning needs would help us to make suggestions that are more appropriate.

jeffkinn
05-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I have had a gmail account for years but it falls short because it is not what companies are using and Google are not going start making companies move away from Exchange and I am not going to stop working the way I want to work. My needs are as described in my original post - multiple Exchange and POP3 accounts, individual as well as a unified inbox and push technology. I do appreciate your responses BTW.

greenman
05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Question 1.
Doing a Google search came up with a tutorial on using Microsoft Exchange on your S2 that would appear to answer your question 1.
http://www.androidphonegeek.com/2010/11/configuring-microsoft-exchange-on-android/

Question 2.
It would appear that it brings mail to one box.

Question 3.
Gmail servers send a message to your phone and instructs it to sync.
It's not push mail, exactly but mail is received without connecting to server and pretty much instantaneously.

jeffkinn
05-06-2012, 04:09 PM
That article says that native Android does not support multiple Exchange accounts. I don't want to have to start buying apps for things like that. Does the latest version of the OS support multiple Exchange?

I have asked the same question on the Vodafone forums where I am very active and an HTC user says he has multiple Exchange accounts.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III/Samsung-Galaxy-email/m-p/1098769#M107

When the phone comes out I will have to get a definitive answer to this otherwise I will be waiting for the new iPhone later in the year.

lbutters
05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I currently have three email accounts coming into the native Galaxy email app: a POP 3 account along with Gmail and Yahoo. Each account can be assigned an individual notification sound. All email attachments (.jpg, .pdf and MS Office files display perfectly.

Deepmeister
05-11-2012, 11:19 AM
The Galaxy S eMail app has improved over various software updates, but is still nowhere near "best in class". Most of the screen shots on the web, or in Samsung adverts, show the GMail reader app. The GMail reader app is meant to be quite good and supports some of the interface styles of other popular high-end smartphones. But, only works with GMail accounts.

Like yourself, I have my own domain and mail server so proper POP3 access is essential. Whilst the built-in eMail app works, it is slow and suffers from lots of lag and delay. I found the freeware app "K-9" and agree with many of positive reviews suggesting it is the best alternative for POP3 or IMAP mail, but I do not think it supports Exchange?

Details at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9

Maybe the new Ice Cream Sandwich version of the eMail app on the new Galaxy S3 may be better, but until it is in the hand, would suggest using K-9.

stevep
05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Yes you can. I currently have three seperate Exchange mailboxes all running in the default email client (NOT Gmail!). You can view each one seperately or all-in-one; that's a user choice of view within the email client. I have tried all the so-called 'superior' email clients and haven't found anything better than the built-in one. I am using ICS however. The only problem I have found is that if you receive a non-delivery report or email receipt _sometimes_ it causes the phone communication to the server to fail; that can be fixed by deleting the offending email from your mailbox using your PC email client.

Email can be pushed or fetched according to what you want. Pusing uses more battery. I have mine set to fetch once per hour per account. When connected to Wifi push appears to happen anyway... Hope this helps.

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of migrating to the Galaxy from the iPhone. Email is very important to me and I have a few questions and would appreciate your advice:

1. Can you have multiple email accounts including multiple Exchange accounts?

2. If you can have multiple email accounts, is there a unified inbox or does each account have its own inbox?

3. Are email accounts updated using push or fetch (to use iPhone terminology)?

Any advice will be much appreciated.