My Galaxy S2 has just started draining battery fast [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: My Galaxy S2 has just started draining battery fast

David F
04-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi Everybody
I'm David from West Yorkshire
My Samsung Galaxy S2 has suddenly started draining it's battery quick
My S2 is sim free and is running Android 2.3.4 it's not rooted it's just standard
I checked on battery usage and it says Andriod OS 62%
And my battery is on 82%
I only fully charged the battery around 2 hrs ago
I haven't used it in that time either
And the screen sometimes freezes now so I have to do a battery pull
It sometimes reboots on it's own too this has only happened today
Has anybody any ideas
Thank you David

greenman
04-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Hi David,
That Surprised me as I thought you might be on ICS as many of us have experienced battery drain with that firmware.
Freezing is often linked to lack of memory which on the S2 is possibly due to too many apps on phone rather than external SD card.
Are you downloading video's or games that are data intensive?
Try to do a general Spring Clean by clearing cache, history, cookies in your browser.
Could be the reason for heavy battery drain as your phone is having to work harder.
Does it get warm?

ColinB
04-08-2012, 11:53 PM
On the SGS, when android OS is hammering the battery the fix is to reboot. Maybe it will work for the SGS2?

David F
04-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I just did a battery pull and the battery went from 67% to 59% ouch

David F
04-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Now its got Display 53% Android OS34% 1hr 33m 12s on battery

greenman
04-09-2012, 12:37 AM
That's ridiculous.
Your phones gone into overdrive, but should be very hot.
If not, it sounds like a duff battery.
The next thing I would do is a factory reset, but you need to back up first.
Do you know how to?

David F
04-09-2012, 12:40 AM
The Battery isn't hot I don't really play games or download videos
I think I backed up in Keis the other day
Can I just save my contact to the sim and do a factory reset ?
Thanks for your help and input

greenman
04-09-2012, 12:53 AM
A factory reset will mainly wipe your apps and other data.
It's an idea to save your contacts to sim, but if they are synced to your phone from another account then they will be safe.
Any apps you've purchased will be waiting in your Market, others will have to be installed again.

David F
04-09-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm just taking my pictures off now I have saved contacts to sim card
But I'm certain I backed up on Keis the other day
Do you think the factory reset could solved the problem
I'm recharging battery so shall I wait before doing a reset ?

greenman
04-09-2012, 01:07 AM
A factory reset will do exactly that, so will correct any errors that have occurred. But no guarantee I'm afraid.
If you're got over 50% charge you should be okay.

David F
04-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Ok Thank you I can try it could solve the problem
Will let you know if it does solve it

greenman
04-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Good luck & good night.
PS I'm a West Yorkshire resident too

David F
04-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Oh right I'm Bradford I thought you was USA sorry
Good Night and thanks again

David F
04-09-2012, 11:53 AM
The factory reset didn't work will have to get a new battery see if that solves the problem

greenman
04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
The factory reset didn't work will have to get a new battery see if that solves the problem

Can recommend this extended battery from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Extended-Battery-Cover-Galaxy/dp/B005FYHRY8/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

David F
04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I might find a friend who has a battery to try it in mine to see if it is my battery that's faulty
Rather than pay for a new battery

Erlander
04-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Now its got Display 53% Android OS34% 1hr 33m 12s on battery
These figures don't mean much. They are the percentage of the battery usage that is down to that item. Yes your display has been on during the current cycle and used 53% of what has been used. You could still have 99% of your battery and have those figures. What counts is the % of charge left.

frequent flyer
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I have these battery problem before. You just have to search over the internet on how and why its draining the battery. Anyway, here are some quick fix that i read from doing reaserch over the net save you abit of time looking for answers. If it worked for my phone, it should do for you as well.
1. Dont turn on the wifi and network data roaming at the same time. if you are outside your home, you should have just the network data roaming activated so you can recieve emails, messages and notifications on the go like from viber, facebook, whatsapp and other networking apps.
...if you are not that super busy or famous, you dont have to have your data roaming activated. just depends how you feel on day to day basis.

2. When you're home and have wifi, just deactivate your data roaming and activate your wifi in your S2 so you get the internet service on your device.

3. Calibrate your brightness display around 40 or 50% and set to auto.

4. Set the power conservation to how low you want it.

5. After using any apps, you have to clear it from Active Application app. that goes with the ram its also in the Active Application Apps.

Make these all a habbit and you'll see a big difference on the battery life, it should last you the whole day.

Also consider buying the original high capacity battery from Samsung and that can give you extra usage time.

This is what ive been doing and of course if you use the S2 as your replacement for your PC to surf the net, then of course you will definitely be connecting it to the power charger.

.....good luck and i hope this will work for you. If not, then your battery is a dud.

David F
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Frequent Flyer
This problem with my battery drain suddenly started Sunday and now the phone is freezing and restarting randomly too
Plus the screen doesn't fade out completely then it suddenly lights up randomly too
Before that my phone worked perfect and problem free unless the battery has suddenly gone dud
So maybe it's a software fault

frequent flyer
04-10-2012, 08:29 AM
David F. My S2 had a glitch before, went to the shop and they rold me to switch it off then remove the battery. then placed it ack, to my suprise it went back to normal. if his doesnt work. just take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement.

frequent flyer
04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
...i pressume it should have a warranty. its still a new phone right?

Maddog1974
04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Frequent Flyer
This problem with my battery drain suddenly started Sunday and now the phone is freezing and restarting randomly too
Plus the screen doesn't fade out completely then it suddenly lights up randomly too
Before that my phone worked perfect and problem free unless the battery has suddenly gone dud
So maybe it's a software fault

I had major battery drain over the weekend, also kept lighting up for no obvious reason but when i unlocked the screen the Vlingo speech thing kept running by itself and also randomly going into car kit connected mode it was all strange. Sometimes wouldn't charge either and if it did i could unplug the charger and it was still showing charging. Anyway after a google several people have had the same symptoms and it requires a careful clean of the micro usb connector. I took the battery out, used one of the small inter dental tooth brush things (about 0.5mm) with some alcohol hand wash (as this evaporates quickly) and gave the pins a good clean. Left it an hour or so and all has been fine since.

Your not listing all the symptoms but might be worth a shot! (P.S my phone display was also not adjusting brightness or fading properly)

David F
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I took it back to the shop hes going to look at it
So hopefully it will be sorted out soon
Will let you all know when I have it back
Thank you for all your kind input

David F
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Just to let everybody know I have my Galaxy S2 back the guy flashed the software and supplied a new battery
And I now have Ice Cream Sandwich too
Fingers crossed my phone will be trouble free thanks for all your help David

Wengz2002
05-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Guys,

Any update or solution for this problem?

I encounter the same problem just recently (less than 1 week)...
My GS2 is 7 months old.

Battery drain after 4 hrs with idle mode. 1 hr when play poker king.
I have two batteries same behavior.

I have Battery Extender installed, I check the info and found out the CPU Usage is too high (almost Full Loading).
I do not know which applications cause the CPU to run so high.

The unit is too hot.

The unit will not charge when System is On.

I search the internet and found out the many have encounter the same problem.

SAMSUNG FOLKS PLEASE HELP US! Let us know to to fix this issue!

RichH
05-26-2012, 07:15 PM
My only guess is a rogue app. I suggest a factory reset and reinstall your apps one by one until you notice the issue reappearing. Without knowing more details from you, FW, installed apps etc anyone would just be guessing. Start off with whatever you changed a week ago.....

paul11
06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
i am getting the same thing and i have not changed anythying or installed any apps in the last week .

but now, all of a sudden my battery drains within about 2.5 hours from full charge, whilst phone is on standby

RichH
06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Faulty battery.....

tngrl99
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Mine also just started doing this....I think I first noticed it Memorial Day weekend....so a couple weeks ago. I am not a heavy use person most days so prior to this, I could often unplug my phone first thing in the morning, use it throughout the day to maybe text a bit, make a call or two, and play a few games of solitaire and it would still be at 70% when I went to bed. Now I unplug it and 2 hours later it is down to 45% with me doing nothing but a few random texts. I tried killing all the apps, I could. Tried uninstalling apps I no longer have use for. Tried clearing the cache on the apps I do use, etc. None of that worked. It also runs really hot now most of the time. This morning, after the quick drain, I checked the battery usage and 73% of the usage is coming from the CPU which doesn't mean much alone but in conjunction with a 55% battery drain in 2 hours of hardly any use, it does.

I started researching and it seems that a lot of people have started having this issue at the same time so I don't really think it's the battery in and of itself. I find it hard to believe that everyone's battery is just going bad at the same time. I happened across a post in the AT&T forums (via google because I actually have Sprint) and it seemed to indicate that it had something to do with the upgrade to 2.3.6 and the way it handles WIFI & data settings on the Galaxy S2. I guess that it will not allow these features to sleep the way they used to or something. I am not very techy so excuse my lack of tech speak. The work around fix was to download Battery Defender (free) or another program like it (Juice was mentioned) and use that to control the WIFI and data when in sleep mode. I am trying it now. I also shut off the phone, did a 1 min. battery pull, and then rebooted. We'll see how it goes. As of now, it's at least running cool like it used to.

RichH
06-11-2012, 11:00 PM
2.3.3 had a battery drain issue that was fixed in 2.3.4. AT&T may have released 2.3.6 but it was never an official Samsung release so it could be a specific problem to that firmware. Certainly preventing the phone from going into deep sleep would give the issues you mentioned. It would help if people posted their FW details when posting issues as it is easier to diagnose or pass on known problems, but most of the time we have to guess.......

tngrl99
06-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Well, something seems to be going better, whether it's Battery Defender or the battery pull, I don't know. But, my phone hasn't felt hot (or even warm for that matter) since I did that. And, it's only down 4% in the last 5 hours which included a couple games of solitaire. That's certainly better than the 55% I lost in 2 hours first thing this morning. We'll see how it acts tomorrow after a full charge tonight. Goodluck everyone. Love this phone so I was a bit upset when the battery started acting up.

And, yes, just for the record, I have 2.3.6 on the Sprint network.

tngrl99
06-13-2012, 07:54 PM
My problem is definitely fixed. Again, not sure if it was the Battery Defender app or the shut down/battery pull and restart that fixed it but I will say that I actually think it's doing even better than before so Battery Defender is helping regardless, I think.

Yesterday, it was off the charger (after being fully charged) for 17 hours, with moderate use (some texting, a somewhat lengthy phone call, Facebook browsing & other internet use, a few games to pass some time, etc) and it was still at a whopping 70% when I put it back on the charger for the night. And, when I look at my battery usage now, the Android System is only using around 25% rather than 75% or more. Just thought I'd throw the results in there. Goodluck everyone. :)

RichH
06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Good result and thanks for sharing.

paul11
06-21-2012, 08:37 AM
i uninstalled battery defender and it seems to have fixed mine too :)

paul11
06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
oh no, its doing it again, and with a new battery too

the only other thing in common was the phone was telling me it was running out of space (last time and now again)

RichH
06-25-2012, 07:54 PM
What apps do you have installed?

paul11
06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
i have lots installed but the phone was working fine before i upgraded to ICS

i think im gong to wipe it and reinstall everything

maxxyme
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi guys, it's Maxx from France.

Having my S2 since a few months now and today, all of a sudden, the battery turned hot and the phone started acting weird, like not connecting to the network et al.
As paul11 said he had, I'm also having a free space problem since this morning (only ~170 MB free) when I downloaded the additional content from a game (round 300+ MB).

I just found this thread while searching on Google, and just installed the last app installed. I am now @ 570 MB free, and it seems the battery is gradually cooling down. So I think this is definitely THE problem some may have. I just have to buy a 32 GB SD card. Too bad the free USB Storage (~7 GB free) can't be used to install/store the game additional contents.

paul11
07-06-2012, 10:50 PM
maxxyme: are you running Ice cream sandwich ?

UPDATE:
i did a restore on my phone and reinstalled my apps and now my phone is running sweet :) its like a new phone and back to normal

Renzo
08-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Hey there all. Been reading these posts as I am very disappointed on the battery life, especially after ICS was installed. Considering a reset, possibly going to my phone provider where I bought the phone or a new battery with extended life. Going from 100% at 7:30 am to 60% or less by noon with only checking Facebook, a few emails, some texting or a call or two is irritating.

Will take all the above into account and get this resolved.

RichH
08-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Follow the reset and battery calibration instructions..... http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/8531-ICS-Upgrade-The-secret-to-success.....!?highlight=secret+success

bilibala
12-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi guys and gals

A friend gave me his S2 sim free O2 back in mid August, its my first smart phone.
My cousin updated the firmware for me so its now running ics 4.0.3.

Everything was running smoothly, spent the past 3 months customising the phone reading around the internet about apps, and enjoying the process.

A few days ago I woke up to find the phone roasting hot I quickly pulled the cable out, it started to cool down and everything was running as normal that day and the next day. The past two days the phone started to go into continuous rebooting, it'll get to home screen then reboot again, it would do this about 20-30 times in between I take the battery out, restart, switch off for a while turn it back on, it would continue then settles down. Today in addition to the rebooting loop I'm getting rapid battery drain, 100% - 40% in 3 hrs, with hardly any use :( phone gets warm around the camera lense but not as hot as the first time just warm, now I'm afraid to leave it on charge overnight.

I only use wifi, no data, no auto sync, brightness is set to minimal, bluetooth off, battery saving mode on and I didn't use internet today. I don't even make calls from this phone I stuck my PAYGO sim in and mainly use it for
whatsapp and internet. I was beginning to get attached to this phone and this happens, appreciate any advice.

PhoneGuru
04-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Guys,

I had the exact same problem and a factory reset seemed to help the battery, but the problem returned after a couple of days (Thanks for nothing o2). But i have now found a solution and wanted to let everyone else know too!

The battery drain is being caused by those unnecessary apps on your phone (I had two pages full of some i'd never use). If you go to:

Settings > Applications > All

What you need to do now is very simple but time wasting (so do it when you have time on your hands). Go through the apps one by one and disable the ones you do not use. This gets rid of them on your menu pages and also stops them running in the background for no point at all! But be sure to only disable the apps you are sure of, I recommend DO NOT disable the apps with an android logo on as they are keeping the system running. :-) I hope this helps.

Also download an app called 'Juice Defender' great app that helps power saving. When your phone is idle is stops apps running in the background and switches off data, until you click your phone on again. Brilliant it is!

This definitely helped me and hope it does for you too! :)

PhoneGuru
04-17-2013, 12:22 PM
I had this problem too, O2 updated the software for me completely new (i thought i had the latest one beforehand), but it seems to be working better now and less overheating. It sounds like your battery may need replacing, it's pretty simple to replace it if you have a pay and go phone. Be sure to have a cover on the phone that doesn't restrict any air ventilation, i had to remove mine since i felt the cover was just making the phone hotter. Hope this helps!