What Class microSD card should I buy? Find the answer within! [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: What Class microSD card should I buy? Find the answer within!

NZtechfreak
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
OK, so I see a lot of rubbish about what the Class rating of microSD cards actually means in terms of in-phone performance, and a lot of advice based on that rubbish which tells people they should buy the highest Class card available.

Guess what? My 32GB Class 2 Sandisk card benchmarks with write speeds of ~5.5MB/s - this is more than enough for any in-phone use-case scenario. The most demanding thing you can currently do on a cellphone, in terms of SD card read/write demands, is encoding or decoding 1080p video - my Class 2 card is sufficient to do this. I tested it out today and videos recorded to the internal SD look no different than those written to the external SD. This doesn't surprise me, since 1080p video is recording at ~2-3MB/s, in other words well within what a Class 2 Sandisk card is capable of (other manufacturers tend to exceed minimum spec less than Sandisk does). Watching 1080p from the external card is no problem whatsoever either.

The only advantage a higher Class card confers is in the speeds you get writing to the card from the PC, and probably even then only in a card reader. After the initial load of a new card, which for most people is loading their music collection, higher Class cards have really very little advantage over lower Class cards. If you regularly write a lot of data to your external card, then a higher Class card may still benefit you enough to make the additional cost worth it. For most I doubt this is the case.

Please lets stop perpetuating bad information about lower Class cards, OK?

Tufftoad
05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
TBH I think if you're buying an SD Card over class 4 then the cost is pretty high. Price diferrences between class 2 & 4 is not that big.

stonkr
05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Power to the people. The lower classes should not be ignored.

windowlicker
05-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I've always been using class 2 SanDisk cards and have never had any problems. I would never pay more to upgrade to a higher class, I don't see the point.

However, I heard that manufacturers use the class rating differently. I heard that a SanDisk class 2 has write speeds that match a Kingston class 4. Don't know if it's true.

NZtechfreak
05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Definitely true - here is my Class 2 card benchmarked:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21839423/CrystaldiskmarkSandisk.jpg

Write speed for large writes (like HD video) is 5.5MB/s - well in excess of Class 2 spec.

Arbor
06-19-2011, 04:48 PM
With regards micro SD cards when I insert a 32GB micro SD card I am unable to access the internal (16GB) memory, when I remove the micro SD I can 'see' the memory again. Is this a feature of the phone or is there a config. setting I can make to see both the internal and micro SD memory at the same time? I am rather confused.

pathslug
06-21-2011, 02:25 AM
One of my friend told me to get the Class 6 card which comes default in the NOKIA express music series. He said he tested it and that has a good speed in data transfer. I aint got one yet but will try and post it here. But seems like that class is very costly when u go for a 32 gb.

Galaxy s2
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I have a 16G class 10 in mine 16.20 off ebay working perrrrrrfect

dog-man
06-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I have a class 10 32gb card and it works great and very fast.

dog-man

Arbor
06-21-2011, 07:26 PM
dog-man I have the same thing. Are you still able to view the contents of your internal 16gb memory? When I insert my 32gb card I am unable to view the contents of the internal 16gb:confused:

dog-man
06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, I can still see the internal memory.

dog-man

Arbor
06-22-2011, 08:17 PM
What's the path to your SD cards?

My internal one is /sdcard/external_sd however when I insert my 32gb card that also has the path /sdcard/external_sd. However the icon is now of an external device rather than an internal one. The external one seems to be overlaying the internal one. What am I doing wrong? :-~

dog-man
06-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I have just noticed that this is a SGSII thread.

I have a SGS.

Mine is the same.

dog-man

jaybz
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
What's the path to your SD cards?

My internal one is /sdcard/external_sd however when I insert my 32gb card that also has the path /sdcard/external_sd. However the icon is now of an external device rather than an internal one. The external one seems to be overlaying the internal one. What am I doing wrong? :-~

I have an SGS2 16gb and my internal memory is at /sdcard (not /sdcard/exterenal_sd). I have never used the phone without an sd card so this part is pure conjecture, but I'm guessing /sdcard/external_sd just gets pointed back to /sdcard if there isn't an external sd card. Oh, FYI, I also have a 32gb microsd but just a class 4.

Jaaay9
10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
At the is point in time. There is a Samsung SD 16gb, Class 10 for 25. Worth it?

I know the TS said Class 2 is enough for a phone etc. But I am thinking of getting 16gb for mainly phone use and future appliances.

Worth getting?

Doomed
10-16-2011, 01:23 AM
I haven't heard any bad about Samsung sd cards but I haven't been looking. As for price, is it much different to cards like sandisk will answer your question.

As for speed, not really needed that high, but you never know what's around the corner:) Or how long micro sd cards will last till something new comes out:)

NZtechfreak
10-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Something new like the 64B micro SDXC card in my SGSII :)

Jaaay9
10-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I haven't heard any bad about Samsung sd cards but I haven't been looking. As for price, is it much different to cards like sandisk will answer your question.

As for speed, not really needed that high, but you never know what's around the corner:) Or how long micro sd cards will last till something new comes out:)

So worth buying for 25 ? I mean I will probably use it for other appliances and it'll be useful on the next phone too. From experience it always seem better, logical to buy the highest out so it will last longer, (No need to keep upgrading etc).

tuxgirl
10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
I've got a Samsung class 6 16GB SD card, got it about a year ago (pre-galaxy s!) and I have absolutely no complaints, cost me 16. Only ever used Samsung memory cards for some reason (Not a conscious decision, think they tend to be a couple of pounds cheaper than sandisk) and never had any problems.

Play.com have a class 10 samsung one for 18 http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/-/1005/1250/-/21373672/Samsung-16GB-Plus-Micro-SD-Memory-Card-Class-10/Product.html (Hope it is okay to link!), if I was buying it now I'd probably go for that one.

oly730
11-07-2011, 08:35 AM
OK, so I see a lot of rubbish about what the Class rating of microSD cards actually means in terms of in-phone performance, and a lot of advice based on that rubbish which tells people they should buy the highest Class card available.

Guess what? My 32GB Class 2 Sandisk card benchmarks with write speeds of ~5.5MB/s - this is more than enough for any in-phone use-case scenario. The most demanding thing you can currently do on a cellphone, in terms of SD card read/write demands, is encoding or decoding 1080p video - my Class 2 card is sufficient to do this. I tested it out today and videos recorded to the internal SD look no different than those written to the external SD. This doesn't surprise me, since 1080p video is recording at ~2-3MB/s, in other words well within what a Class 2 Sandisk card is capable of (other manufacturers tend to exceed minimum spec less than Sandisk does). Watching 1080p from the external card is no problem whatsoever either.

The only advantage a higher Class card confers is in the speeds you get writing to the card from the PC, and probably even then only in a card reader. After the initial load of a new card, which for most people is loading their music collection, higher Class cards have really very little advantage over lower Class cards. If you regularly write a lot of data to your external card, then a higher Class card may still benefit you enough to make the additional cost worth it. For most I doubt this is the case.

Please lets stop perpetuating bad information about lower Class cards, OK?

The problem is the price of 16 GB class 4 Apacer Micro SDHC +adapter is cheaper then Transcend 16 GB class 2 no adapter.
And Transcend 32GB class 10 is also cheaper than Team Micro SD 32 GB class 4.
All of them have life time warranty.

aeonman
02-03-2012, 08:00 AM
My class 10 micro card writes at 17MB per second through my lappy's SD card slot. Its a 16 GB card from memento. Internally (SGS2), via usb cable, it writes at about 4MB/s.

Compare that to my other micro card (class 2 or 4) gets 5.5 MB/sec via lappy SD slot.

More than triple the speed.

If you use your card to move video files from your pc to your card for later viewing on your phone, you are at a big advantage with a higher class card.