How to install Kies [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: How to install Kies

Sanstorm
11-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have noticed lots of people having problems installing Kies and then getting their Phone connected.

If you are running Windows Vista or 7 32bit and 64bit, please try the following;
Download the latest Kies installer from here: http://in.samsungmobile.com/support/softwaremanuals/software.do?phone_model=GT-I9000&sw_type=SW
Download and Save the file to your desktop e.g. Kies_1.5.3.10103_100.exe (approx 135MB size)
You need to ensure you have .Net Framework 3.5 for Windows XP(32/64bit), Vista(32/64bit) to install Samsung Kies.
If not download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Install the .Net Framework 3.5 and reboot your PC before you go any further.
After reboot of your PC, right mouse click downloaded Kies installer file. On the Pop-up menu select 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR', Windows will give you a security prompt select OK.

Allow the install to run fully and simply follow the prompts.
When install has completed, ensure Kies program is closed and right mouse click the shortcut Kies program icon on your desktop and select properties.
Now select Shortcut Tab (if not already displayed) and Open File Location button.
A new window will open with the Kies.exe file selected and highlighted
Again right mouse click this file and select 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR'.
Close window and go back to desktop and select Kies shortcut windows will pop-up security prompt select ok.
Kies will now open after a short pause. Ensure your Phones USB settings are set to Samsung Kies.
Now connect your phone to PC USB port. After a short while your phone should be detected and connected.
I hope this helps someone....
Sanstorm

Jim
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Followed this guide to the letter today (after spending an hour resetting my forgotten Administrator password!) and unfortunatley I still get stuck on the 'Connecting the device' screen on Kies - while the phone shows 'Connected'. I installed and ran the software as Administrator each time.

I'm on XP Proffesional SP3. I even uninstalled and re-installed the 3.5 Framework, however at 49% through the Kies installation process, my computer was forced to update to .Net framework 4.0 (as part of the Kies install) but I cant see why .net 4.0 would be any worse than 3.5?

Btw, when I open the MSC.Thunder.FirmwareUpdate.exe file, my phone IS detected, however it says 'This device's version cannot be updated'
Any more ideas?

Jim
11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when I click the 'Firmware Upgrade' button in Kies (with phone still attempting to connect' I get the following message appear in a dialog box:

2010-11-06 18:50:05
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException

Stack Trace:
at MSC.Thunder.MainStage.MainFrame.PopupFirmwareUpdat e(String argument)
at MSC.Thunder.MainStage.MainFrame.OnWidgetEventCalle d(Object sender, WidgetEventArgs args)
at MSC.Thunder.UI.Events.WidgetEventHandler.Invoke(Ob ject sender, WidgetEventArgs args)
at MSC.Thunder.UI.Events.WidgetEventAgent.CallEvent(O bject sender, WidgetEventArgs args)
at MSC.Thunder.UI.Controls.WidgetIconCtrlVM.PopupThis Widget()
at MSC.Thunder.UI.Controls.WidgetIconCtrlVM.OnClicked ()
at MSC.Thunder.UI.Controls.WidgetIconCtrlVM.<get_ClickCommand>b__0(Object param)
at MSC.Thunder.UI.Common.RelayCommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecut eCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnCl ick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMo useLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk( Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEv entHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Deleg ate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandle r(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(Dependency Object sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEv entHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Deleg ate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandle r(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(Dependency Object sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedE ventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArg s args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingAr ea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(Inp utEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput (InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Repo rtInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.Filt erMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessa ge(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation( Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCat chWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

If that means anything to anyone, that would be great!

Sanstorm
11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Hi Jim,
The guide was made with Windows Vista/7 in mind as it uses UAC (User Account Control) and often blocks software installs. In Windows XP you just need to make sure you are logged on with an account that has Administrator privilages and do not need to run the application as Administrator as Windows XP does not use UAC.

It looks to me as if your Windows samsung phone drivers are not installing properly hence the lockup when the Kies software is trying to detect the phone. When you uninstall using the Kies software uninstaller it is possible the corrupt drivers are not being removed properly.

I would try to uninstall the Phone and drivers in Device manager first and then unplug the Phone from the PC, before doing a Kies uninstall and then reboot the system, this way the drivers will be forced to reinstall when you re-run Kies installer.

Does your Kies software freeze when it says connecting or does the connection indicator keep moving as if it is searching still?

Cheers
Sanstorm

duk
11-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks Sanstorm, this solved my Froyo upgrade woes!

In case it helps anyone else - I'm in the UK, my phone is from Carphone Warehouse (on Vodafone) and I had the stock JF3 firmware. My phone has never been rooted or manually upgraded (I was patiently waiting for the official Froyo release).

Anyway, I installed the latest Kies from samsung.co.uk (Kies_1.5.3.10103_100.exe) on a Vista Business SP2 (32 bit) laptop. Then I tried and failed many times to upgrade to JPO. Kies would download and unpack the firmware fine, the phone would display the little "Android Man Digging" icon, then Kies error with 'Failed to convert to upgrade mode'. Removing the battery would bring the phone back with JF3.

Following your instructions above, the upgrade went perfectly first time :cool:

Cheers!

Jim
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Sanstorm, you are right about the drivers. I unistalled the current drivers from device manager. Then unistalled Kies. Then uninstalled the USB drivers left behind in the Samsung install folder (where Kies also was). I then did a registry clean, restarted, and then installed Kies into a new Hard-drive partition just in case.
After the Kies re-install, I closed Kies, then plugged in my phone and waited. After a minute or so the following message showed up:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jimherefordbmx/installproblem.jpg

Do you have any ideas to get round this? Any idea if there is a version of this driver better suited to XP Professional SP3? Any help would be great.

EDIT: FINALLY I have connected with Kies and performed a sync! All I had to do in the end was Unmount the internal SD card, and it connected straight away. I read it has something to do with having too many .mp3 files stored on the SD card... which I probably have.
Anyway, finally fixed :D

Sanstorm
11-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Sanstorm, you are right about the drivers. I unistalled the current drivers from device manager. Then unistalled Kies. Then uninstalled the USB drivers left behind in the Samsung install folder (where Kies also was). I then did a registry clean, restarted, and then installed Kies into a new Hard-drive partition just in case.
After the Kies re-install, I closed Kies, then plugged in my phone and waited. After a minute or so the following message showed up:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jimherefordbmx/installproblem.jpg

Do you have any ideas to get round this? Any idea if there is a version of this driver better suited to XP Professional SP3? Any help would be great.

EDIT: FINALLY I have connected with Kies and performed a sync! All I had to do in the end was Unmount the internal SD card, and it connected straight away. I read it has something to do with having too many .mp3 files stored on the SD card... which I probably have.
Anyway, finally fixed :D

Hi Jim
That is really great news you finally got it sorted, well done mate, and welcome to Froyo!
Regards
Sanstorm

amandiocastro
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Hello Everyone

I am trying to install kies in a pc with the windows 7 64 bits. I do have the Microsoft .NET framework 3.5.1 activated.

I tried to install kies (executing the instalation as administrator and in the administrator account) and the installation runs swiftly. After the instalation i always get the message "Some files are corrupted. If the problem persists reinstall the program"

Any idea about how to solve this problem?

Thanks for your time in advanced

Amāndio

Doomed
10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Have you tried re-downloading the program, removing kies, then re-installing

amandiocastro
10-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Yes, I've tried that several times!

amandiocastro
10-27-2011, 03:04 PM
I wonder if the error is related with the fact that my office is the 32 bits version and not the 64 bits as the windows 7!?

Sanstorm
10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
I wonder if the error is related with the fact that my office is the 32 bits version and not the 64 bits as the windows 7!?

Hello amandiocastro,
The problem is not related to your Office Suite being 32bits. MS recommend the 32bit version of Office on 64bit Windows because of potential compatibility issues with some Office add-ins. So do not intall 64bit Office.

I have experienced the corrupt file issue during install before and am trying to remember the work around.

First thing to confirm, you are downloading the Kies installer directly from Samsung website?

Next clean your Windows system of previous installs of Kies. If you are able do the following:
1. Uninstall Kies from Program and Features if you have not already
2. Empty/Delete all files in the Windows temp folders c:\windows\temp and c:\users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\Temp
3. Delete any Temporary Internet Files
4. Proceed with caution: Open regedit and delete Samsung registry entrie from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Samsung
5. Re-download Samsung Kies direct from Samsung and save to desktop
6. Ensure all antivirus programs are disabled (disconnect from the internet if you feel you have to)
7. Run installer as Administrator, (right click select option)

Let me know how you get on.
Hope this works for you.
Sanstorm

amandiocastro
10-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello and thanks for that Sanstorm

I have just tried that and the problem persists, unfortunatly. This is such a limitation. I am also having the same problem in my laptop that has the 32 bit windows 7. I wonder if i'm the only one having this problem.

If you have any more sugestions, please report that to us.

Thanks for yor time

Amāndio Castro

Sanstorm
10-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Hello and thanks for that Sanstorm

I have just tried that and the problem persists, unfortunatly. This is such a limitation. I am also having the same problem in my laptop that has the 32 bit windows 7. I wonder if i'm the only one having this problem.

If you have any more sugestions, please report that to us.

Thanks for yor time

Amāndio Castro

Hello,
If you are having this same problem on two different computers we need to check three things please.
1. Are you using any download assistance or accellerator programs to download the KIES installer?
2. I am assuming you are logged into the systems using an administrator priveledged user account?
3. Are you right mouse clicking the KIES installer and selecting 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR' from the options menu?

Please let me know how you get on?
Good luck,
Sanstorm

Sanstorm
10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Hello,
If you are having this same problem on two different computers we need to check three things please.
1. Are you using any download assistance or accellerator programs to download the KIES installer?
2. I am assuming you are logged into the systems using an administrator priveledged user account?
3. Are you right mouse clicking the KIES installer and selecting 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR' from the options menu?

Please let me know how you get on?
Good luck,
Sanstorm

Hello,
Sorry I have just re-read your original post and you state you are running as admin. Ok the problem has something to do with the software that both your computers share i.e. have installed.
Do they both use the same AV program, do they both have an anti-malware program such as Malwarebytes installed?
Look for something (software) that both computers have in common (other than Windows 7 32bit & 64bit).

The corrupt file message is often caused by the installer being interfered with by another program while it is running, this is normally an AV program scanning the files as they are accessed.

Do you know how to start your system in diagnostic mode which will disable all other programs? Go to start search box type 'msconfig' (without quotes) then press enter key.
In msconfig first try this; select startup tab uncheck all startup items or select disable all, click apply. Next select services tab. VERY IMPORTANT first select check box 'Hide all Microsoft service' then uncheck all remaining services or disable all
Click apply and reboot computer try your KIES install again remembering to run as admin.
If this fails: go back to msconfig and select boot tab and then safe boot & minimal. reboot and try KIES install again.

If this works then go back to msconfig and re-enable previously disabled startup programs and services. Remember to disable safe boot/minimal

I hope this helps
Good luck
Sanstorm

amandiocastro
10-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks again sanstorm, it didn't solve the problem once again. I'm going to unistall programs from my pc and after each uninstall will try to install kies. That's the last step I can remember of.

Anyway, in the second step you sugested, "boot & minimal" the kies instalation gives an error. Can't remember wich one.

flyboy
02-01-2012, 02:58 AM
K, this is infuriating, just can't get past this.

Kies update failed, and now it refuses to obey in every way. Tried uninstalling it, running two different Kies uninstall and cleanup tools I found on another forum. Even manually went into the registry and deleted every instance of Samsung and Kies (took 3 hours). But the problem is stuck like dry dung to curly fur.

Here is what is happening:

First I try to launch the installer. Then I get this message:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5033/3ea07d87c80e497590c4d95.png

A little disconcerting given it doesn't show what the name of the upgrade is, but OK, I'll play along. The next message is this:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9759/b4afcca492da4fde8a33dc2.png

Clicked Yes (even though the program is gone with Hoffa, but OK, if it says there is still something there, I'll play ball). Next I get
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1991/faa6a09d6cae421e9e47412.png

Followed by http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6710/ed93ba279583440b9813855.png and then
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5033/3ea07d87c80e497590c4d95.png

That turns into
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9759/b4afcca492da4fde8a33dc2.png

And round and round we go. If I play along all I get is a a case of deja vu, popping vein in the forehead and some broken furniture.

I have been Googling this for a week till my eyeballs bled. I am getting real good at finding nothing at all, perhaps there is a career in there somewhere...

I'm considering calling Chuck Norris in

Sanstorm
02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi Flyboy,
It looks as if you still have remnants of Kies on your system. You need the Microsoft MSI Uninstaller tool, very hard to get hold of now because microsoft took it off the web because people were using it incorrectly and screwing up their systems.
the file is called 'msicuu2.exe' the file is 352kb in size. If you can find this tool install and run and remove ONLY the samsung entries. Ensure you try to uninstall all samsung listings in program and features or add/remove programs in the normal way first.
Reboot the system after running the tool.
Ensure you download a clean copy of Kies installer direct from samsung, right click installer and run as administrator. Do you still get the messages you had before?
Good luck
Sanstorm

keymark
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
How can we install multi language dictionaries ?

erin_jana
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi there! Hopefully you guys can help me. I am trying to download samsung kies so i can sync my galaxy s3 but i get as far as "set up status" "evaluating launch conditions" then an error appears and tells me that i am not connected to the internet and that it cannot carry on the set up. I am definetly connected to the internet and i have windows 7. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be amazing :-) thanks

RichH
06-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Hi there! Hopefully you guys can help me. I am trying to download samsung kies so i can sync my galaxy s3 but i get as far as "set up status" "evaluating launch conditions" then an error appears and tells me that i am not connected to the internet and that it cannot carry on the set up. I am definetly connected to the internet and i have windows 7. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be amazing :-) thanks
Yeah, you need to download and install .net framework 4 first http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
Samsung are not very good at installing it for you ;)

andyedge
08-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Just been trying to install this stupid program today & found after getting a 'You are not connected to the internet' message & several google searches & retries that the solution was to disable my anti-virus/firewall software. After wasting a couple of frustrating hours with this I just hope it was worth it. Why don't they include a 'disable your anti-virus software' warning in the installer. Still takes a while to install though.

addrt0
11-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Greetings Sanstorm ,Oh great one. I got it working , but it slows down my pc . but I thank you kind Sir.
Ade
Hello Everyone,
I have noticed lots of people having problems installing Kies and then getting their Phone connected.

If you are running Windows Vista or 7 32bit and 64bit, please try the following;
Download the latest Kies installer from here: http://in.samsungmobile.com/support/softwaremanuals/software.do?phone_model=GT-I9000&sw_type=SW
Download and Save the file to your desktop e.g. Kies_1.5.3.10103_100.exe (approx 135MB size)
You need to ensure you have .Net Framework 3.5 for Windows XP(32/64bit), Vista(32/64bit) to install Samsung Kies.
If not download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Install the .Net Framework 3.5 and reboot your PC before you go any further.
After reboot of your PC, right mouse click downloaded Kies installer file. On the Pop-up menu select 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR', Windows will give you a security prompt select OK.

Allow the install to run fully and simply follow the prompts.
When install has completed, ensure Kies program is closed and right mouse click the shortcut Kies program icon on your desktop and select properties.
Now select Shortcut Tab (if not already displayed) and Open File Location button.
A new window will open with the Kies.exe file selected and highlighted
Again right mouse click this file and select 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR'.
Close window and go back to desktop and select Kies shortcut windows will pop-up security prompt select ok.
Kies will now open after a short pause. Ensure your Phones USB settings are set to Samsung Kies.
Now connect your phone to PC USB port. After a short while your phone should be detected and connected.
I hope this helps someone....
Sanstorm

Rashad1990
12-12-2012, 06:07 AM
yeah i have tried almost but i think we should need to get new file for installation

before you begin you need to download and install the new KIES software to you computer
after installing you should run that

:) :) :)