[How to] Make a high res Galaxy S wallpaper yourself from any photo or picture. [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: [How to] Make a high res Galaxy S wallpaper yourself from any photo or picture.

Briggs
07-05-2010, 10:23 PM
The Galaxy S uses the default wallpaper resolution of 980 x 800 pixels. This is for the sliding home screen with multiple screens.

In order to make a decent high resolution image and not all blurry do the following:

Using a paint program like paint in windows or Paint Shop Pro etc. Make a new image with 980 x 800 as the dimensions.
Re-size the image you want to use to fit into this more or less.
Then paste the photo or image you want into the new image. And move to fit.
Save the image as a PNG for maximum quality (The image will be around 1mb in size)

Here's an example I made (This photo was actually taken on the Galaxy S)

Now last step, transfer wallpaper over to your SGS. And on your Galaxy S, select the gallery as the wallpaper.
Find your image and then make sure you crop the whole image and not just the middle of it for maximum sharpness.
(See below image)

Save and enjoy your high resolution wallpaper.

tiptronic
07-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Nice Tips!

ECaronan
07-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks for this. Been sticking to the preloaded wallpapers since i couldn't make my own sharp. Not Anymore!

Piterski
07-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Good manual :)
What I actually do I go to my Picassa gallery and grab a photo, this way it crops to correct size and you good in few seconds :)

minuti76000
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I cant seem to do it every time I try to edit a image on Microsoft paint or that Picassa that was also suggested it just doesn't seem to work can you help me out please

Doomed
08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
What do you mean by ' it just doesn't work'?

makamiso
08-26-2010, 04:44 AM
could you just not open the image in paint or editing software and just choose the "resize image" option rather than make a new picture and then resize your image and then post that image in the new image?

abhiraj
09-25-2010, 09:13 AM
hey the tip roxxxxxx
i really wanted my laptops wallpaper on sgs but coudnt get it clear but now its amazing to make custom wallpapers from ur tip but i want proffesionl editor like corel draw on sgs

Tom
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi,
I just don't seem to get it working.
I mean, once i traansfer the picture to the phone and set it as wallpaper selecting the whole picture, then as wallpaper just a small part of it is visible, not the whole picture.
It is entirely visible only scrolling the windows but I want my wallpaper made of just one window.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thank you

ONYX
11-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Not a bad point actually.. anyone know the 'size' for an individual desktop on the Galaxy S?

I suppose common sense would say divide the 980 by 7 which would give you 140 x 800 for each one?

But then you'd still need to put them all side by side into one image of 980 x 800. (I've not tried doing this yet so I've no idea if it will work but I imagine it should do)

tiptronic
11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Not a bad point actually.. anyone know the 'size' for an individual desktop on the Galaxy S?
I think each screen's width is about 479 pixel - 581 pixel.

ONYX
11-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Talking of Desktops.. What IS the point in 7 Desktops?

Personally.. I don't actually use ANY of em apart from if I want to a quick view of my daily weather update. - The rest of the time I prefer to go to my menu to select my app. and keep a nice clear view of my wallpaper. (I have a non-rude pic of the GF on there whose boobs & ears wobble thanks to my AndWobble app lol)

I realise that potentially.. you can load each desktop with 'shortcuts' to your various apps.. but then you just scroll through desktops instead of menus.

The AndWobble App never fails to amuse me by the way.. so I highly recommend it to people who like a good chuckle.
(One of the few apps i've actually paid for that one.. though there is also a free version)

So back on point.. Is there actually a reason for having 7 desktops apart from potentially creating yet another scrolling menu? (albeit with your chosen pic. behind it - oh.. and you can pinch to select your desktop now thanks to froyo)

tiptronic
11-16-2010, 04:02 PM
One thing that has gone missing is the ability to remove screens (desktops) since upgrade to Froyo. Which is another reason I moved to Launcher Pro as I only need 3 screens and Launcher Pro allows me to do so.

I usually use my desktops for widgets like Agenda, Friends Widget( from launcher Pro paid version) which will give me a quick view of my daily events and all my friends and twitters status. I certainly don't need all 7 screens but at the same time cannot live without it :)

EDIT: Just found out I can still remove unused TWLauncher screen in Froyo, when in edit mode, just drag the unused screen to the trash/bin.

MKU
12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
When I use this and resize my image to 980*800 it keeps selecting a portion of it, resulting in a blurry background...

Any ideas?

extremekhaos
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Maybe your picture was too small to begin with?

You should be getting pictures that are bigger than 980 x 800. So, like... 1024 x 768 or even 2000 x 1000.

MKU
12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks, I'll try with a slightly larger picture and report the new behaviour.

fedegen108
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi, I just bought this smartphone and I'm still getting used to it. I tried to put some of my high resolution pictures but they always appear a bit blurry (compared to what I see on my computer). I re-sized them to 800x960 or 800x980, but it didn't work.
I've just installed Android 2.2 Froyo and I have the wallpaper spanned across 3 pages. I suppose that maybe having only 3 pages (instead of 7) on the desktop it requires different sizes?
Sorry about the stupid question but this is not really my thing :)
Thanks!

Federica

MKU
12-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Fedegen and others,
I have solved the problem! All you need to do is when it asks you to choose a portion of the image (What we don't want) with the orange box, DRAG the bottom edge of the orange box DOWN. The area can be changed!

CarlB
12-08-2010, 01:16 PM
If you download ''multipicture live wallpaper'' which is free, you can use a different picture for each screen, works well.

fedegen108
12-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Fedegen and others,
I have solved the problem! All you need to do is when it asks you to choose a portion of the image (What we don't want) with the orange box, DRAG the bottom edge of the orange box DOWN. The area can be changed!

Hi! The problem is that even if I resize the orange box so that it covers the entire picture, the wallpaper still comes out blurry! And it's even worse if the orange box is smaller that the picture... :S

fedegen108
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
If you download ''multipicture live wallpaper'' which is free, you can use a different picture for each screen, works well.

I will try this, thank you!!

MKU
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Ah, well that method was a big revalation to me. Works on mine, but are your pictures larger than the screen resolution?

fedegen108
12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Yes, the original picture was 3349x2582 (pretty big!)

MKU
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Ah well I'm not sure what your problem is. Maybe it is too big!

fedegen108
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Ah well I'm not sure what your problem is. Maybe it is too big!

That's why I resized it to 960x800... But it doesn't work... I really have no idea what to do... But thanks a lot anyway!

fedegen108
12-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I figured the problem out, eventually! I was putting the pictures in the telephone with Kies, and somehow they got resized. If you do not use Kies (I mean using the telephone as an archive) the picture keeps its original size. Now they look PERFECT!

JCabbage
01-08-2011, 08:27 AM
If you did not use Kies. How did you get them on the phone and where did you put them? I emailed them to myself but I still have to crop them which leaves to only select a portion of the image and not the whole image. My images are 980 x 800.

Katxoxo
01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
How would I do this for a photo that is originally 512X799? It's a photo of my BF that I want to have as my wallpaper on my phone. I have deleted all of the other homepages so that I only have one but still can't find a way to add the entire photo :(

PantherAtNight
10-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Altough this thread is almost 2 years old, apparently the problem's still relevent as I found out on my Galaxy S3. And I fixed it! The answer to this is actually quite simple. You only have to change the file location of your wallpaper to your external SD card.
I was certain that having a sharp wallpaper is possible, because I did it before. But note that I had a sharp wallpaper when I had not installed any apps yet. However, now when I wanted to change it with more than 20 installed apps on my device, I started getting weird fuzzy low quality wallpapers on my phone. I thought of the OS having diffuclties with rendering a Highquality picture from the same directory everything is running so I moved it to my external SD card. And that fixed the problem :)