Cannot change Notification tone [Archive] - Samsung Galaxy S Forums : Galaxy S2 S II Forum

: Cannot change Notification tone

Blodhemn
09-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi there

I have tried changing the Notifiation tone numerous times now, and cannot even change it to another standard tone, let alone a music file. Worked fine for the caller ringtone placed mp3's in audio > ringtones worked a treat. But not working for Notifications. It finds the tracks on the phone under notification tones, and lets me select the ( and I even here it demo the track ) but when I get someone to text me, its standard mailbox sound.

Any ideas please?

systemX
09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Messaging > Menu button > Settings > Scroll down > Select ringtone (you can put your custom ringtones here by doing the below)

Applications > My files > Media folder > Audio folder > Create a notifications folder if it doesn't exist (Menu button > Create folder) > Put desired ringtone here for notifications

Did you do the above steps and yet you still get the same mailbox sound?

Blodhemn
09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes that fixed it.

Thanks a LOT

Rob

Tom
09-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi,

I don't have a Media folder and Audio folder in My Files, where should I place the new Notification folder?
And could i choose the sounds from that folder for messages, mails, notification alert?
Thank you

DirtySoul
09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Also you might try to install Handcent SMS, it allows to assign custom ringtones!

Tom
09-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Wouldnt want to install anything as things look already too complicated to me.
So, in which folder should I place the tones or if i have to make a new one, where would i create it?

DirtySoul
09-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Tom, just download and install Handcent SMS, replace stock messaging app with it, go to settings and assign. By the way, Handcent SMS is way better than the stock one. No need to create new tones or place in a new folder, you'll assign them as you assign ringer tone.

Doomed
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Can't means Won't, Won't means Jail

If you still don't want to install Handcent SMS or other apps the same (really easy way) then you could follow;

IF it doesn't exist; Menu button - Create folder. Applications/My files/Media/Audio/Notifications

So when in my files, create folder Media, then when in Media, create folder Audio then when in Audio create folder Notifications. When that's done find the tone you want and add it to the Notifications folder :)

Tom
09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Thank you!
That worked nicely and easily!

Just wondering if the folder has to be called Notification for the files to be found. I have a folder named Sounds but the files were not visible until i copied to the Notification folder.
Thanks again

BigIan
10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Can't means Won't, Won't means Jail

If you still don't want to install Handcent SMS or other apps the same (really easy way) then you could follow;

IF it doesn't exist; Menu button - Create folder. Applications/My files/Media/Audio/Notifications

So when in my files, create folder Media, then when in Media, create folder Audio then when in Audio create folder Notifications. When that's done find the tone you want and add it to the Notifications folder :)

great - done it!!

thanks Doomed

Talemir
10-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey guys, just got my Galaxy S a few days ago and this thread answered my question flawlessly. However, shortly after doing this I tried something called Zedge I am not sure you are aware of, I would recommend checking it out, and when you download something you don't even have to copy it to the media/audio/notifications folder to set it up for your ringtone / sms / mms / etc. just set it up and go. Anyway, hope that helps too, cheers!

Edit (Additional Info): It has thousands of free wallpaper and ringtones, a lot of them I found to be histerical. lol

kumarhm
11-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Thank you guys at this forum the method worked. Guys, am I glad? oh yes I am

kumarhm
11-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey guys/ gals at the forum, the method worked for me thank you

jeff
11-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I installed the Handcent SMS and it did allow me to put my own notification tone in. However, now I get both my customised tone AND samsungs own. How do I disable or remove Samsungs alert tone settings. Can't seem to find a relevant folder. Thanks to anyone who can help

mrcj
11-27-2010, 07:01 PM
I glad I found this thread didnt think I could put me own tones to text's but can now cool.

Thank you.

HappyH
11-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I installed the Handcent SMS and it did allow me to put my own notification tone in. However, now I get both my customised tone AND samsungs own. How do I disable or remove Samsungs alert tone settings. Can't seem to find a relevant folder. Thanks to anyone who can help

Open Samsung's Messaging --> Press Menu (bottom left) --> Settings --> Notifications & untick to turn them off methinks
HH.

tuxgirl
01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
A way that doesn't involve installing a new sms client or creating new folders is to download ringdroid from the market (it lets you create your own ringtone from an mp3) and just opening then straight away saving the notification tone you want. When you press save, notification tone is an option.

Mrtubuchu
02-19-2011, 05:57 PM
In every single thread I have read that this method works:
My files > Create 'Application' folder > Create 'My files' > Create 'Media' > Create 'Audio' > then Create three different folders inside the folder 'Audio': 'Alarms', 'Ringtones', and 'Notification'

I have done all these steps and I placed my mp3 that I wanted as a text notification inside the Notification folder.

I went to the text message settings to change the notification sound but to find the same sounds that the phone comes with.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Nothing seems to be working for me and I downloaded some kind of app that starts with a 'Z' but it doesn't have the tone I want. If someone could help me that would be great. ; u ;

Thanks a bunch for reading I hope someone can help

iicon1984
10-01-2011, 12:05 AM
i still have 2 ringtones playing at the same time.. none of this works for me too

Niddy
10-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Hi guys! I’m new, and very confuzled! I’ve had my Galaxy for about 6 months now (or rather right after it came out), and my text notifications have been working fine until recently. I’ve even downloaded some of my own and am/was using them, no problem. But I got sick of my old one, and tried to change it and ran into trouble. I’ll try to be as specific as possible.

I tried to change it both ways:

1st – My files-->media-->audio-->notifications (and yes, all my notifications are all there) When I click a tone, (it plays it) I click settings,-->set as-->... But it only gives me 3 options: Phone Ringtone, Individual Ringtone, and Alarm. FAIL

2nd – Menu-->Settings-->Sound-->notification ringtone. It lets me tick the ringtone I want (both the generic ringtones AND the ones I downloaded are showing), but then when I get another text it plays the old one anyway. (I checked…and the new ringtone that I chose is still ticked) FAIL

Sooo…I deleted the old text-tone completely, and tried changing it both ways again. Same story, except now when I get a text. I get no sound at all.

(Yes I tried taking out the battery and put it back in…on advise of my techie nephew…again, FAIL

Was I specific enough? Anyone have ideas? Thanks so much, guys!

~Jeni

Swipermusic
10-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Jen I had this problem. Go into messages (sms) menu - settings - scroll to the very bottom of list. Select ringtone - voila!

Niddy
10-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks! Okay...Dumb question. Where's the SMS menu?? LOL I just have "notification ringtones" and in both there are no menus to pull up.

Finalstate
10-03-2011, 05:23 AM
Okay so I've gone through all of the following steps that you guys posted up. I can't even manage to change the notification tone to one of the stock ones, it's just stuck on the whistle one. I tried using zedge to change them as well but to no avail. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this thanks for any and all help.

theTimo
10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Doesn't Settings/Sound/Notification ringtone work? :)

Another option is to open the Music Player, go to the song list, hold your finger on the filename and select 'set' and so on...

Swipermusic
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks! Okay...Dumb question. Where's the SMS menu?? LOL I just have "notification ringtones" and in both there are no menus to pull up.

Sorry should have said. Go into your sms as though you are going to type a new text message. Press left soft key and that will bring up settings. Then scroll to the very bottom and change your tone there. Its the only way my phone will change it. Let me know if you are still stuck.

ref711
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
How do I move the tone to the notification folder as my tone is on my SD card

Tufftoad
10-14-2011, 10:57 PM
How do I move the tone to the notification folder as my tone is on my SD card

Setting Ringtones and Notifications

There are numerous ways to set tones for Calls, Notifications, Texts, Emails etc.

Using any File Manager app go to the main directory and locate the 'Media' folder and then inside locate the 'Audio' folder.
In the Audio folder should be 3 more folders called Ringtones, Alarms and Notifications:
/Media/Audio/Ringtones **Calls**
/Media/Audio/Alarms **?Wakey?**
/Media/Audio/Notifications **SMS, emails or alerts for individual apps**
You can put your relevant mp3 files in the relevant folders. Long presssing the mp3 file in most apps will bring up the copy/paste/rename options.

You should now be able to see the files in Sound Settings Menu of the phone or relevant apps.

You can also use most audio player apps to set an mp3 for Calls, Contacts, messages etc.

:) Source: Tips, Guides & Resources (http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/4124-Guides-amp-Resources-Battery-life-19-Reasons-for-Launcher-Pro-Customizing-LP.....)

ior67
10-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Let me borrow this thread. Same issue, but I have placed the file in the supposed place but it still does not turn up in the list. And yes, it is the right format.

Tufftoad
10-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Let me borrow this thread. Same issue, but I have placed the file in the supposed place but it still does not turn up in the list. And yes, it is the right format.

What supposed place? what directory structure have you used? Please be a bit more descriptive in your problem.

What size is the MP3? does the MP3 you want as the notification tone also appear in the Music app and does it playback?

peterkay
10-21-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks everyone, this was doing my head in :)

peterkay
10-21-2011, 02:14 AM
thanks everyone, this was doing my head in:)

mike1212
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
been trying to install a custom message tone. I am currently running darky rom 10.2.2 and installed handcent. I already had the 3 folders on my sd card, however i am still getting my custom msg and the default samsung one how can i only have 1 noise?

CarlB
11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Firstly I would say get rid of handcent and install Gosms which imo is way better, then to stop recieving the stock tone, go into the stock messenger as if to send a message, press left soft key > settings>scroll right down the pop up menu to > notifications and un tick the box..

Carl.

Kev
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Setting Ringtones and Notifications

There are numerous ways to set tones for Calls, Notifications, Texts, Emails etc.

Using any File Manager app go to the main directory and locate the 'Media' folder and then inside locate the 'Audio' folder.
In the Audio folder should be 3 more folders called Ringtones, Alarms and Notifications:
/Media/Audio/Ringtones **Calls**
/Media/Audio/Alarms **?Wakey?**
/Media/Audio/Notifications **SMS, emails or alerts for individual apps**
You can put your relevant mp3 files in the relevant folders. Long presssing the mp3 file in most apps will bring up the copy/paste/rename options.

You should now be able to see the files in Sound Settings Menu of the phone or relevant apps.

You can also use most audio player apps to set an mp3 for Calls, Contacts, messages etc.

:) Source: Tips, Guides & Resources (http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/4124-Guides-amp-Resources-Battery-life-19-Reasons-for-Launcher-Pro-Customizing-LP.....)

At last someone who posted an understandable solution for me..
Sorted my SGS2 prefectly :)

tbone708
03-16-2012, 03:56 AM
first click on the messaging then the button ont he very bottom left of ur phone click that then go to settings...scrolldown to the notification settings (select ringtone) should work i tried for ever to figure this out finally

Tufftoad
03-16-2012, 09:41 AM
first click on the messaging then the button ont he very bottom left of ur phone click that then go to settings...scrolldown to the notification settings (select ringtone) should work i tried for ever to figure this out finally

Would only work if the desired ringtone is in the predefined folder.

franton
10-04-2012, 08:21 PM
How do you add the ringtone to the notification folder...it's not giving the option to move or copy from existing ringtone folder.

Tufftoad
10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
How are you trying to do it, connected to a PC or viewing the files on your phone? Try long pressing the file or pressing the Menu button for more options?